- 1/2 c. mascarpone
- 1-1/2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 c. Romano cheese, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. cocoa powder
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 lb. rigatoni pasta, cooked al dente
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- Olive oil for frying
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. provolone cheese, shaved
In medium mixing bowl, whisk together the mascarpone, ricotta, Romano, mint and cocoa. Refrigerate for one hour.
Preheat oven to 400º F. In medium bowl, beat eggs and water together. Dip rigatoni in egg mixture and roll in breadcrumbs; being sure to coat ends well.
Pour 1/4 inch olive oil in bottom of large sauté pan. Heat oil over medium heat. Fry rigatoni until crisp on each side, about 1 minute. Remove and drain on paper towels.
Pipe refrigerated cheese filling into fried rigatoni and place in baking pan; bake for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, heat marinara sauce. Place a dollop of sauce on small plate and place 5 stuffed rigatoni on top at various angles. Garnish with fresh basil. Sprinkle with shaved provolone cheese.